The customer is a leading Austrian-based provider of integrated hardware and software solutions for vehicle emission testing in the automotive industry with a staff of more than 6,000 people and facilities in 28 countries worldwide.
As a supplier of test and measurement equipment to the automotive industry, the customer differentiates its products on the market by innovative technical design and usability. Regular updates as well as enhanced communication are crucial features for the customer’s products. For the reasons above the client wished to design and develop a modern multi-level HMI solution for test and measurement equipment. A future HMI system had to address three major challenges:
• Control. Ensure interactive control of complex equipment, a must-have feature of all contemporary HMI systems.
• Usability. The customer needed a common HMI logic combining the best features from different customer’s products. Overall convenience and ease-of-use were a priority in HMI panel design.
• Configuration. Due to the complexity and uniqueness of the customer’s equipment, the HMI solution must customize control systems according to different configurations.
Applied Systems carefully gathered and analyzed the customer’s requirements. We actively communicated with the client to ensure the solution would meet necessary business needs. Our contribution to the HMI project included building software architecture, programming the system and providing the necessary documentation.
The effective cooperation of designer and software engineering teams resulted in a customized configurable HMI with the following features:
• vivid demonstration of component parameters (for example, valves, engines, etc.);
• user dashboards gathering general information;
• possibility to create compound data-from-time and data-from-data graphs;
• automated UI configuration, either for a specific device or for the whole system;
• automated configuration of large data flows;
• procedure editor – a special instrument which allows controlling the equipment status in real-time.
The HMI solution is based on the .Net, C++, GDI+ technologies. It is independent and flexible enough to be used in other similar systems. Using different programming languages (C#, WPF), the solution has been seamlessly integrated into a number of other customer’s projects with equal efficiency.